Tuesday, August 31, 2010

COSMIC APRIL/2009 : INTERVIEW. ( Environment activist Wong Tack, President of Sabah Environment Association (SEPA).

Q: How did you become involved in the environment move mean?
A: My childhood experience might be the key inference for my keen interest in environment. Coming from a farming family, our life was constantly in touch with land, climate and nature. My home was situated at the foothills of Titiwangsa main range in Pahang, with majestic mountains as a backdrop, crystal clear fast-running rivers pass trought the farms and streams that theme with all sort of life forms.
    This early encounter with nature has difinitely instilled a deep sence of appreciation for its beauty. In my early adult life, I spent more then fifteen years in country which placed great importance in environmental protection and conservation-Canada, famous for its natural beauty. Many of its cities are recognised as among the most liveable in the world. Working as an environmental consultant there exposed me to a set of cocio-political beliefs that have great respect for environmental consultant there exposed me to a set od socio-political environment beliefs that have great respect for environment. Decision making on development often involves serious ecological consideration, a process that encourages active citizen participation.
      My home coming in late-90s saddened me. The river that I spent most of the afternoon swimming after school has become laden with heavy sediments. The farm where I grew up has been flattened and stripped to bare land.the narrow dirt road that I walked to school  was plied trought with heavy logging trucks loaded with logs. At that moment, I decided that I had come back to this country and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment